• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sinta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. COLORADO)?

Have a family friend who quite is job, got on COBRA and then who's organization/old job was acquired by another company. After that transaction, the employer group of the new company instructed Anthem to terminate all COBRA participants, effective January 31, 2007. At the time of termination, the employer indicated that COBRA participates had other coverage in place and so Anthem canceled my friend's policy without any notice. The after math is my friend got approved for a surgery, had it and then they refused to pay and now he is stuck with like 100,000 dollars in bills. Does he have any recourse? The second employer (the one my friend didn't work for) opted out of the COBRA plan assuming because they didn't have enough employees to be required to have it. What about notice clauses? Can they cancel without telling him?

Any direction would be helpful.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And this happened in 2007? It's probably too late to do anything even if there was, at the time, anything to be done. Which is not clear yet.

Was your friend making COBRA payments? If so, to whom? If not, why did he think the coverage was still in place?

Sinta

Yes, he was paying at the time. My friend left his job and started paying his premium and then the business was sold by the owner. The owner, my friend's old boss, told the Health insurance company that there was other coverage available so they cancelled the insurance for my friend. This was not the case there was no other coverage and he wasn't even informed of the cancellation. So now my friend has a judgment against him (I know that hes an idiot) and he's trying to get his insurance company to pay. I know there is a statute of limitation on this but I'm not sure what it is. I heard from my employer when I shared this story that it was 6 years. Is that the case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">