• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shirleyann

What is the name of your state? Calfironia.
My employer is closing this location and I am being laid off next week. He has another store down the street that is not closing and it has the same tax ID #. My boss tells me that I will only have COBRA for one more month because they are closing this location. Our insurance rep. tells me that I cannot get COBRA after the store closes because the other store has a different health plan. If it's the same employer can they do this?? I am currently being treated for a serious health condition and can't afford to be without health insurance. Where can I go for help???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, this is legal. The fact that it is the same employer does not give you access to insurance plans that were not available to you when you were employed.

If your location is closing and the plan you were participating on is no longer available, COBRA is not available to you.

Your state insurance commission should be able to point you in the direction of some individual plans open to you.

shirleyann

This is not true. I contacted the Labor Board and they advised me that my employer must offer COBRA with the other store's policy because they use the same employer ID number. The person I spoke to called him & told him what the law says and now I will be getting COBRA. I'm very grateful. Just thought I would pass this along in case you have someone else asking the same question.

mlane58

shirleyann said:
This is not true. I contacted the Labor Board and they advised me that my employer must offer COBRA with the other store's policy because they use the same employer ID number. The person I spoke to called him & told him what the law says and now I will be getting COBRA. I'm very grateful. Just thought I would pass this along in case you have someone else asking the same question.
Well whomever you spoke with at your Labor Board is wrong!!!!! You have to be enrolled in that plan for you to be eligiable for COBRA. Just becasue the company has different plans doesn't mean you are entitled to pick one and take advatage of COBRA when you weren't enrolled. Good luck trying to obtain health coverage you are not entitled to by law.

pattytx

I'm assuming by "Labor Board", you mean the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement? Why would you ask them about COBRA and why would you believe what they tell you? The DLSE and the California Labor Commission enforce California laws. COBRA is a federal law and it is regulated by the federal Dept. of Labor. If you want to confirm what the experienced benefits professionals here have told you, call the federal DOL.

shirleyann

Pattytx

I did contact the FEDERAL labor board because my employer has 70 employees. And why are you being so nasty about this? I'm sorry if I offended you, but why would I not believe a federal agent??? This is important to me. May you never be in this situation.

pattytx

You have no idea what situations I've been in. "Federal agents" work for the FBI. They don't work for the DLSE or the Dept. of Labor. :rolleyes:

maybewronged!

I got laid off and contacted my dental provider to send me a form so I could continue the benefits through COBRA. Since it was a group coverage, the provider wants the employer to initiate the request! My employer is not being co-operative about this - what can I do?

pattytx

When was your last day? The 3rd party administrator of the plan has 44 days following your termination date to get your the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">