• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Oscarpete

I elected Cobra coverage in the state of Ohio when leaving my old employer for a relocation. The administrator has not provided me with correct or updated information. I contacted them to make sure what I needed to do to continue coverage since I am a diabetic and my husband has a heart condition. I was informed that I would receive information in the mail along with the billing statement.

I received the statement and paid the premium. I then contacted the insurance company for a provider directory. I was told that they could not send me an updated directory since I moved and the adminstrator did not inform them of any changes yet. It was almost two months later when I finally got the adminstrator to put through my changes. The insurance company would not take them directly from me.

Then the adminstrator called me to let me know that I could also choose from three other plans offered in my area. It was also conveyed to me that if I choose one prior to a ninety day window, the insurance company would reimburse the employer some premium money. I told the adminstrator that I was happy with my current company and coverage.

Approximately ten days later the adminstrator called again. This time asking if I wanted to change my coverage as well as tell me that the current insurance company would not be offered in 2002 due to "contract" prices. I still maintained that I wanted to keep my current carrier until then because of the coverages.

Well, then came doctor bills, due to diabetes and allergies. They were not being covered, even though the provider accepted this insurance. After a lot of calls and peicing things together from other sources with my former company, the administrator did not tell me that I needed to choose a different carrier due to the fact that there was not a service area for my current insurance. I had called several times to ask about the coverage area and the insurance company did not provide me any information since they did not have my changes from the adminstrator.

Do I have any recourse? If the adminstrator didn't return calls or answer questions, what am I to do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are they not being covered because they are being termed a pre-existing condition? Or are they not being covered because under the plan you are currently covered under, they are not a covered benefit? It will make a huge difference in the answer.

O

Oscarpete

They are not being covered because I am now being told that this insurance compnay does not have a doctor in the plan in this coverage area. It has nothing to do with pre-existing conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">