• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cocaine Seizures by Customs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxatti

What is the name of your state? FL

Not sure if anyone has experience in this matter, but a friend of mine did something not too smart and ordered cocaine through the mail, and now supposedly has a package containing 4 grams of coke in route to his mailbox from abroad. So my question is, if (or when) customs should find and seize this, how much trouble is my friend really in? Is the DEA going to bust down his door and try to arrest him for trafficking? Or will customs just send him a seizure letter? Can he just deny ordering anything and not accept the mail?

quincy

What is the name of your state? FL

Not sure if anyone has experience in this matter, but a friend of mine did something not too smart and ordered cocaine through the mail, and now supposedly has a package containing 4 grams of coke in route to his mailbox from abroad. So my question is, if (or when) customs should find and seize this, how much trouble is my friend really in? Is the DEA going to bust down his door and try to arrest him for trafficking? Or will customs just send him a seizure letter? Can he just deny ordering anything and not accept the mail?
He ordered cocaine through the mail? From where?

He can be arrested. If arrested, he should contact an attorney.

quincy

So what could he potentially be charged with?
Not trafficking (a 1st degree felony in Florida). That would be possible if your friend possessed 28 or more grams of cocaine. With 4 grams, he potentially could be charged with a 3rd degree felony.

This is assuming that your friend is found in possession of cocaine.

He does not actually have to be holding onto the cocaine or have it on his person to be charged with possession.

The main thing for your friend to remember is that he should say NOTHING to law enforcement if questioned. He should exercise his right to remain silent and he should get an attorney.

And he should stop ordering illegal drugs online.

xxatti

Not trafficking (a 1st degree felony in Florida). That would be possible if your friend possessed 28 or more grams of cocaine. With 4 grams, he potentially could be charged with a 3rd degree felony.

This is assuming that your friend is found in possession of cocaine.

He does not actually have to be holding onto the cocaine or have it on his person to be charged with possession.
Ok, now that's interesting. So potentially, he could be charged with possession even if the package gets seized before it ever gets to him?

And he should stop ordering illegal drugs online.
Agreed!!

quincy

Ok, now that's interesting. So potentially, he could be charged with possession even if the package gets seized before it ever gets to him?

Agreed!!
Possssion if the package with known contents is delivered and your friend signs for the package. An investigation of your friend if Customs keeps the drugs that were addressed to your friend.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Friend doesn't even have to SIGN for the package. If it is delivered and he accepts it, he can be charged. I have had these cases. They are a PITA.

Just Blue

Friend doesn't even have to SIGN for the package. If it is delivered and he accepts it, he can be charged. I have had these cases. They are a PITA.
I sadly have to wonder how stupid one must be to think ordering coke via the mail is a good idea. I hope OP friend doesn't procreate.

quincy

Usually accepting a delivered package requires signing for it - but you are right that just accepting the delivery can result in charges. :)

Not only is it stupid to order illegal drugs, having them sent to your home address seems especially stupid.

On a similar note, though, drugs ordered for medical uses from other countries and seized by Customs are now being released to those who ordered them. Many senior citizens order their prescriptions from Canada to save on costs.

xxatti

Usually accepting a delivered package requires signing for it - but you are right that just accepting the delivery can result in charges. :)

Not only is it stupid to order illegal drugs, having them sent to your home address seems especially stupid.

On a similar note, though, drugs ordered for medical uses from other countries and seized by Customs are now being released to those who ordered them. Many senior citizens order their prescriptions from Canada to save on costs.
He did say that at least he didn't send it to his home address. But still if just having it delivered is enough to be charged what should he do? If the package is delivered in a mailbox or dropped off at a home or office address does that automatically mean it's accepted, or does he have to actually pickup the package and walk in/out with it? Can he attempt to deny delivery if it arrives and claim he never ordered anything?

I was talking to someone else about this and maybe they had no clue what they were talking about, but the person seemed to think that simply having a package of illegal drugs with your name on it would be tough to hold up in court, cause without any other evidence the person could simply deny any wrongdoing and who's to say a scorned ex-gf didn't have the package sent to him in an attempt to set him up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
YOUR FRIEND should speak only to an attorney.

YOUR posting of YOUR FRIEND'S legal matters, particularly the various statements he has made to you, is NOT appropriate.

quincy

He did say that at least he didn't send it to his home address. But still if just having it delivered is enough to be charged what should he do? If the package is delivered in a mailbox or dropped off at a home or office address does that automatically mean it's accepted, or does he have to actually pickup the package and walk in/out with it? Can he attempt to deny delivery if it arrives and claim he never ordered anything?

I was talking to someone else about this and maybe they had no clue what they were talking about, but the person seemed to think that simply having a package of illegal drugs with your name on it would be tough to hold up in court, cause without any other evidence the person could simply deny any wrongdoing and who's to say a scorned ex-gf didn't have the package sent to him in an attempt to set him up.
There are DEFENSES available to the recipient of a package containing illegal drugs should the recipient be charged with a crime.

Generally someone will not be charged or charges pursued unless there is evidence enough to support the charges.

xxatti

YOUR FRIEND should speak only to an attorney.

YOUR posting of YOUR FRIEND'S legal matters, particularly the various statements he has made to you, is NOT appropriate.
I'm only trying to help. I thought that's what this forum was for? And he's obviously aware that I'm seeking advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">