• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cohabitation in Mississippi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Renee f

While my current ex and I were together we bought a house he paid cash for it but put both our names on the deed. Came home one day and he was gone I have been living in the house for almost a year without him. While I was at work one day last week he moved him and his girlfriend in and will not let me in the house not even to get my belongings. Can he kick me out like that and refuse to let me in? We were not married but my name is still on the house deed.

LdiJ

While my current ex and I were together we bought a house he paid cash for it but put both our names on the deed. Came home one day and he was gone I have been living in the house for almost a year without him. While I was at work one day last week he moved him and his girlfriend in and will not let me in the house not even to get my belongings. Can he kick me out like that and refuse to let me in? We were not married but my name is still on the house deed.
No, he cannot do that. Your name is on the deed, its also your house. You have every right to live there. However, it could be dangerous for you. You should call the police, and prove that your ex has illegally locked you out, and get their help in at least retrieving your belongings.

Renee f

I did contact the police and they said that they could not stand around waiting on me to get my things. Police informed me it was a civil matter and unless there were laws being broken they couldn't help.

LdiJ

I did contact the police and they said that they could not stand around waiting on me to get my things. Police informed me it was a civil matter and unless there were laws being broken they couldn't help.
Laws are being broken. He has illegally locked you out. You could wait until he is not home, call a locksmith and have the door opened, and get your stuff. Take people with you to help you. You will get your stuff out faster, and they will be witnesses.

Renee f

Laws are being broken. He has illegally locked you out. You could wait until he is not home, call a locksmith and have the door opened, and get your stuff. Take people with you to help you. You will get your stuff out faster, and they will be witnesses.
I wouldn't be breaking any laws by doing this? If he was to show up in the process and call police I wouldn't go to jail?

LdiJ

I wouldn't be breaking any laws by doing this? If he was to show up in the process and call police I wouldn't go to jail?
No, you would not go to jail. You cannot break into your own house...and its definitely just as much your house as his.

Just Blue

Do the above and VIDEO RECORD the ENTIRE event.

ETA: File a motion in court for the sale of the house.

Renee f

No, you would not go to jail. You cannot break into your own house...and its definitely just as much your house as his.
One more thing. He can be a scary person if I can't get my things out what would be the best step to take?

HRZ

BTW you have every right to be in that home with any 250 lb strong friend you chose to invite....do not wimp out to the bully And if bully threatens you with harm...sort out the issues to get a protection order to keep him away. I get it that he is scary...but toughen up and don't let bully power win.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just by way of clarification. You certainly CAN break in to your own house. You just aren't committing any sort of crime by doing so.

Renee f

Very valid clarification, thank you.
Break in by any means necessary? Several months ago he broke in the back door with a crow bar and took all the dead bolts off the doors, moved some of his stuff back into the house, cleaned the kitchen, cut all the lights on and then left.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, pretty much by any means necessary short of illegal means (dynamite, etc.) Why would he have needed to do that? Not that it was illegal...I'm just curious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">