• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collect calls charges undisclosed until bill arrived

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kblow

What is the name of your state? Washington

Over the summer I was petsitting for a friend, while this friend was working out of state.
I ended up running up a gigantic long distance phone bill (collect calls).
Is my friend responsible / liable for the phone bill?

I did not ask my friend if I could accept these calls at his house, but figured it wouldn't be a problem because I planned to pay for the calls. However, I was obviously oblivious to what each call was going to cost, for had I known (had the cost for each call been disclosed up front) I wouldn't have accepted quite so many of them. We are talking nearly $1500 worth of calls!!
It seems the approximate cost of each call should be disclosed at the beginning of each collect call.....which is typically the norm with these types of calls (from an inmate).
Can I contact the company and somehow assume the debt? Have the debt put in my name?
Are there any regulations that govern these (or similar) types of calls. U.S.C. for example?
Point me in a direction and I'm willing to do the digging/research myself!. I feel horrible for causing this huge mess/debt.... now I know the meaning of what is said about assuming....
thank you for any help in advance.
Sincerely:
kblow

bigun

If the phone is in his name, he sure is liable? If you have a credit card or the means to get a loan, this would be the time to do it.

djohnson

He is responsible, and if you don't pay it he can sue you for the money. You need to figure out a way to pay him. I have never been told the amount of a call up front (never talked to an inmate though). It is too dependant on the length of each call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">