• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virgina
This may sound harsh but there is a long history here. My step daughter borrowed $1,950.00 from me which I borrowed from my 401K. I made her sign an agreement that she would make the payments on time among other things like maintaining insurance. In the agreement, it states that if she so much as misses one payment I could take ownership of the car, sell it and if there is any money left over from the sale after satisfying the debt to my 401K, it would go to her. She has now missed two payments and won't even so much as call me and let me know what is going on. I have left numerous messages for her to call and let me know what is going on but still no response. With this in writing like that, can I indeed take ownership of the car? I have the title to the car (It is in her name) at my house and a set of keys.
Thanks for your help and I hope there are not too many mispellings above.

Debt Guy

Senior Member
You will need to bring a lawsuit against her. You might be able to file in small claims court and not need an attorney. Call the courthouse and ask what the filing requirements and limits are for a small claims action.

Once you have a judgment, you might need to hire a "repo man" to find and pick up the vehicle.

Then you sell it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential