• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting childsupport for children over age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviesmum04

My family and I live in Maryland and I was wondering if my mother can collect childsupport from my father from the time he was in prison to the time he got out? She was collecting welfare while he was in prison for a couple years but she did get off it and go to work way before he got out of prison. When he did get out of prison she put in for childsupport but he ran from the police and took off before she could get a court hearing which at the time we were 14 and 13. So, my question is can she still go to court to collect child support even though we're 20 and 21yrs old now?? And if she can go back to when he was in prison or if she is most likely to only get back child support from when he was out of prison???

B

betterthanher

steviesmum04 said:
My family and I live in Maryland and I was wondering if my mother can collect childsupport from my father from the time he was in prison to the time he got out? She was collecting welfare while he was in prison for a couple years but she did get off it and go to work way before he got out of prison. When he did get out of prison she put in for childsupport but he ran from the police and took off before she could get a court hearing which at the time we were 14 and 13. So, my question is can she still go to court to collect child support even though we're 20 and 21yrs old now?? And if she can go back to when he was in prison or if she is most likely to only get back child support from when he was out of prison???
If an order never existed, the parent is not entitled to back child support. As far as your other issue, what happened to the order that was pursued after he got out? Was it closed because they couldn't locate him? Give us more details. If we wanted to go fishing, that's where we'd be. We don't like fishing for information.

steviesmum04

back childsupport

As far as I know it was never closed, I stated in my first post that he went on the run so they couldn't do anything since they didn't know where he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">