• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California

Re: collecting judgment. Amount owed is approximately $2700 + interest. Had the sheriff do a 8hr keeper on the business, but was only able to collect $100. (cost for keeper: $210). Am I able to have a keeper placed in the business on a monthly or semi-monthly basis? I'm not sure this would be to my advantage, at this point, since it appears I'm losing money by doing so. Is there some other recourse I can take? (ie: order a debtor's hearing? or is it too late for this?)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

555 said:
California

Re: collecting judgment. Amount owed is approximately $2700 + interest. Had the sheriff do a 8hr keeper on the business, but was only able to collect $100. (cost for keeper: $210). Am I able to have a keeper placed in the business on a monthly or semi-monthly basis? I'm not sure this would be to my advantage, at this point, since it appears I'm losing money by doing so. Is there some other recourse I can take? (ie: order a debtor's hearing? or is it too late for this?)
My response:

Why haven't you purchased an inexpensive book on the subject at Barnes and Noble Booksellers to find out about other methods? Why are you wasting time? Additionally, had you purchased a book on the subject, you would have discovered that your costs incurred to hire a "Keeper" would have been added to the judgment and, likewise, reimbursable to you.

Also, why haven't you subpoenaed the business principals back in to court for a "Debtor's Hearing" so that you could ask them questions to find out where personal and business assets are located; e.g., the business bank account?

Could it be because you didn't buy a book?

This could have been all over by now.

IAAL

Last edited:

re: collecting judgment

In response to "i am always liable":
The reason I didn't purchase a book is because I have done extensive research online for the past year, which is when this case began. Furthermore, I don't think for one minute that I have been wasting time. I have followed the necessary steps, and have waited the necessary amount of time. I am fully aware that my costs will be added to the judgment. The point I was trying to make is that I keep incurring costs, yet have not been able to collect anything towards the initial judgment. The reason I opted for a keeper instead of the debtor's hearing is because this was initially a labor case; I could go after my former employer and my former place of employment. Unfortunately, my former employer has most everything in someone else's name. This really doesn't come as a surprise; he doesn't send in employee's withholdings, has owed the IRS in back taxes, etc. As far as the business account: it's empty, or at least it always has been. Pay checks were paid out of the cash register, as were vendors, etc.
It's unfortunate that I have to go through this process just to collect wages that were due me (and that the labor board agreed were due me.) And the reason I didn't try to collect the judgment through the labor board, is because once the case has been decided, the only option they offer is to have the IRS or tax board (I can't remember which) handle it. And that was discouraged, since they are backlogged and it could take well over a year.

Last edited:

JETX

Sorry, but your excuses just don't work.... for example, you hired a keeper for a business that has no money!!!

Your options:
1) Do as IAAL suggested and get a good book (heck, you can even get it at the library!!).
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=california+collect+judgment

Or
2) Talk with someone at CAJP (California Association of Judgment Professionals) at: http://www.cajp.org/
Or at: http://www.enforcemyjudgment.com/page1.htm

Or
3) You can continue spending your money ineffectively and hope to 'strike gold' during one of your keepers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">