• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting unemployment while student teaching? Washington state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delkoo

My wife is a para-educator. She starts student teaching in the fall. The school district is letting her take a leave of absence while she she is student teaching. When her student teaching is completed she does get her para-educator job back. Can she collect unemployment while she is on leave?

LdiJ

My wife is a para-educator. She starts student teaching in the fall. The school district is letting her take a leave of absence while she she is student teaching. When her student teaching is completed she does get her para-educator job back. Can she collect unemployment while she is on leave?
No, because when you are collecting unemployment you have to be available for work. She won't be available because she will be student teaching.

delkoo

Leave of absence is for student teaching and Washington State. I was pretty sure it was no, but figured it was worth asking. Note: They did list her reason for absence as personal so she could come back when her student teaching was completed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Leave of absence is for student teaching and Washington State. I was pretty sure it was no, but figured it was worth asking. Note: They did list her reason for absence as personal so she could come back when her student teaching was completed.
Right - she made a choice to not work during that time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">