• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Maryland

A department store collection agency has been harrassing me with phone calls. I have asked them several time within the past 2 years not to call my parents home, becase I no longer live there. I have also asked them to remove my parent phone number, I was told it had been done. since then they are still calling there and recenting spoke to me father in a very disrespectful way. (he and I share the same name) he asked them to stop calling and someone recently cursed him stating we will call whenever we want(using the (f) word. Just as recent as 8-27-2002 they called again speaking to them very harsely. I have given them the priviledge to call me at work but yet they still call my parents home eventhough they were asked not to. My parents are in their 70's and should not be subjected to this kind of disrespect. Can it be stopped?


Senior Member
Send the collection agency a cease & desist letter {CRRR}. Inform them they are to no longer attempt to reach you at that number.


Senior Member
Though Bigun is right virtually all the time.. he may have missed something in your post... that affects his response.

Your post said that the contacts are being made by "department store collection agency". If the department store is directly contacting you (and most creditors do have 'in-house' collections), then they are not limited to the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) and thereby a 'cease and desist' letter has no impact on them.

However, if you really meant that they contact is being made by a "3rd party debt collector", working for the department store, then the FDCPA would apply.

Bottom line...
In either case, send them a polite, professional letter giving them your full contact information and ask that they cease any further contact using your parents number. You might point out that your father has the same name (I am sure that is part of their confusion), but that number is no longer valid for you. If you don't give them your correct contact information, they will certainly continue to attempt to contact you at whatever number they can find for your name... meaning your father.

I do have to add though.. one way to positively get them to stop contacting you (or your father) is to pay your bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential