• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Agency and orginal creditor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms J

What is the name of your state? OH

A creditor turned an account over to a collection agency, however, the original creditor continued to accept payments after that for the next 3 months which brought the account more than up-to-date since I was paying more than I owed them at the time to pay the item off. However, in the 4th month they returned the check and I ended up paying the collection agency the balance to end the whole mess. Do I have any recourse to get this removed from my credit report since at the time I paid the collection agency, the account was brought back to good standing and during the time it was "with collections", the orginal creditor still accepted payments.

The real question here is, can the orginal creditor still accept payments once they have turned an account over to a collection agency without removing it from the collections agency. They accepted payments for more than half the balance due after the time it was sent to the collection agency.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">