• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Agency Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida:

I filed BK in January and got my discharge 3 months later. At the moment I am battling one die hard X Creditor and it's collection agency. Another issue has recently arose. I forgot to return a library book. When notified I returned it. Paid the fine but the Library wants me to pay the collection agency fee of $20. The whole thing was my fault. I moved right before borrowing the book and forgot about it. The notices they sent got sent to my old address and did were not forwarded to me. I do not mind paying as I am guilty but my fear is if I pay this collection agency it will put me at a disadvantage should I have to sue the die hard X Creditor and their collection agency.

Ladynred

Is the ex-creditor and CA still after you to pay on a discharged debt ??

I would find out if there's anything in the library's terms that says you have to pay 'collection fees'. That kind of 'fee', if not stipulated in a contract or agreement, are often ILLEGAL - check your state laws - you may not have to pay anything if they're trying to collect something they are NOT allowed to do.

JETX

Geeze... this is just $20. Pay the overdue fine and 'collection fee'.
This payment will have nothing to do with any demands from another collector or creditor.

JETX

The way I read that.....
You don't want to pay a valid bill and have come up with some far-off claim to convince yourself that it would be harmful (yeah, right, your paying a library fine will affect your other creditors!!).
And in the 'smoke and mirrors' of your post, you have now convinced Ladynred of your 'logic'.

So, go ahead. Ignore the library. Save your $20 bucks. You will likely lose far more than that when this is all done.

Last edited:

Ladynred

Quite frankly, I'd pay the bill.. for a paltry $20 to a LIBRARY. Is it on your credit report ? If not.. then paying a CA for it likely won't show up either.. and do no harm to your credit file. I merely pointed out that 'collection fees' are not always legal and the FDCPA even says its a violation if the fees are not allowed by state law or if its not in the terms somewhere.

HI:

I agree. Like I said earlier it was my fault. I don't care about the $20 pesos I was just worried there could be ramifications legal-wise later with the other stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">