• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection agency is after me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aaliyah_16_2000

What is the name of your state? Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone

I have a big problem, and I can really use your advice!

I helped my "friend" get a cell phone last year by putting it under my social security number, ( I didn't have a credit card) needless to say, she didn't pay the bill, but she says she will, but time is running out (literally 2 days!!) before the collection agency CBV collections says that my credit will become bad. My "friend" says that you can negotiate with the collections officer to set up payment plans and if set up and paid off (in time negotiated for) then I will not get bad credit. I asked the officer myself and she says she can't do that. I also asked her if she can switch my name off the credit rating into my "friends" name, but she says she can't do that either (I have a written consent form from her too!) So I'm wondering, is the collections officer taking advantage of me, only wanting to get the debt paid right away, or is it the truth that she really can't do it?

Also, If I were to take my "friend" to small claims court, and I gave the letter as evidence, would they be able to switch my name to hers? (the collections officer said no)

Please reply soon

Thank you

pojo2

You are stuck! And your friend is full of erroneous information about the impact on YOUR credit rating.

In essence you are the party they have the contract with no matter who has/used the phone.

ablessin

Nice "friend"

Get a new one - pay the bill and get a new friend.

and never mix money like that into the friendship. this happens all the time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">