• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection agency tactics illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

file51e

What is the name of your state? FL

A message was left on my voice mail by someone identifying themselves as a lawfirm representing their client who was filing a lawsuit. The person left a case number. I checked the phone number online and found that it was not a lawfirm but a collection agency. I went a step further and went online to the Florida Bar and checked the name of the "attorney" and the "partners" and found they did not exist. Also, the "court case" number does not exist or correspond in the county records.

Is this practice illegal in Florida and what course of action can I take?

djohnson

Remember this probably isn't the first time they have done this. The case number can easily be your case number with the agency. The 'lawfirm' can easily be the legal division of the collection agency. Wording can be tricky sometimes. They do this to scare you, but is usually perfectly legal.

Actually, a collection agency is barred from making themselves appear as an attorney if they are in fact not. Check out the FDCPA.

djohnson

But what they make appear and state are two separate things. Most CA have a legal department and can state contact Ann in the legal department. There is no appear, it just confuses or scares some people and is perfectly legal. Plus if it's a first part the fair debt act doesn't apply anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">