• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrustratedOne

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I had 2 phones lines, one residential and one for a non-profit foundation. When I dissolved the foundation I called my carrier to change that line to a residential line. I was told the cost would be $12.00 per month. For 6 months I was charged for a business line and spent countless hours on the phone with them. I always got an apology and was told it would be taken care of.

In September 2002 I was fed up and changed my service to another carrier. I paid the closing bill on the residential line. I received a bill for $500.00 for the other line. I refused to pay the bill since the total should have been $72.00. I spoke to the carrier a number of times about this matter and never heard from them again.

About a year ago I began to receive letters from a collection agency. I have called them a number of times, mailed and faxed copies of the canceled checks along with an explanation of what happened. I told them I was not paying the bill that they had bought a fraudlent account. The last time I spoke with this company was on 8-5-05. I was informed there were 2 accounts from the same carrier for both lines. One account was paid in full and I sent them a copy of the canceled check and the other I will not pay since it was the failure of the carrier to switch the account.

They have placed these on my credit report. I have placed a disput on it. Is there anything I can do? This has been going on to long and I can't seem to get anywhere with any of these people.

Thank you for any input you can give me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">