• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection call confirming identity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sean R.

This collection agency called me, and in trying to "confirm my information/identity" the person on the other side of the line not only didnt ask proper questions he simply stated the answers/information and just ask for confirmation. EG: Is your birthday May 12th 1984? He didnt ASK: What is your birthdate? Is this correct practice? If i had a different phone number now and someone had my old number anyone could have simply said yes just to get privileged information? He also after that just stated the apparent debt owed with what company etc etc. without any more questions, etc. I dont think this is right. I could have been anyone just "Bsing" on the phone. Is there anything that can be done about this to take action against them now? I never admitted to oweing or anything that he/they said on the phone.

PayrollHRGuy

Do you owe the debt?

Did he give you privileged information?

Would you have given him your birthday or any other personal information had he asked? I certainly wouldn't have had I received such a call.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This collection agency called me, and in trying to "confirm my information/identity" the person on the other side of the line not only didnt ask proper questions he simply stated the answers/information and just ask for confirmation. EG: Is your birthday May 12th 1984? He didnt ASK: What is your birthdate? Is this correct practice? If i had a different phone number now and someone had my old number anyone could have simply said yes just to get privileged information? He also after that just stated the apparent debt owed with what company etc etc. without any more questions, etc. I dont think this is right. I could have been anyone just "Bsing" on the phone. Is there anything that can be done about this to take action against them now? I never admitted to oweing or anything that he/they said on the phone.
What US state?

I suppose that the best way to prevent this would be to pay your debt.

(No, nothing improper occurred here.)

Sean R.

Im in Canada not USA. if that matters. No i have no idea what this debt is at all. I dont think i would have answered any actual questions. But i did say yes to the "statements" just to see where it was going because he wouldn't continue without. But I could have been anyone lying right? The guy TRIED to state my name.. I THINK lol.. because it was pronounced completely wrong. im pretty sure he said SHANE. He gave out the debt amount the company owed too..he said a birthdate, cant remember what else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Im in Canada not USA. if that matters. No i have no idea what this debt is at all. I dont think i would have answered any actual questions. But i did say yes to the "statements" just to see where it was going because he wouldn't continue without. But I could have been anyone lying right? The guy TRIED to state my name.. I THINK lol.. because it was pronounced completely wrong. im pretty sure he said SHANE. He gave out the debt amount the company owed too..he said a birthdate, cant remember what else.
As mentioned above, this forum doesn't handle Canadian law matters.

One piece of practical advice...avoid saying "yes" or "ok" to caller that you don't know. They can isolate your "yes" and stitch it in to a "contract" to show your agreement, while you actually have no clue about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">