• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection debate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mandi

When I was 17, I worked for Bergners Department Store. They issued each employee a company card to use for purchases and to recieve your employee discount. I used the card and signed for it (not knowing what I was signing for) at the age of 17 and it was a charge card. There was a balance of $185.00 and once my parents found out, they were furious that someone issued me a card without their authorization and they instructed me not to pay the balance. Now, it is on my credit report as unpaid and seriously delinquent. Is the balance valid since I was only 17 when I signed for the card? I thought that you had to be 18 y.o to sign for any credit card or charge card. Am I right?

bigun

Leaving the age issue aside, you really ought to go ahead and pay the $185. If this is your first attempt at credit, it sure won't inspire another lender to take a chance on you. Stiffing a crditor and an employer over a small amount is not a good habit to get into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">