• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Ltr from Attorneys?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I am 69, disabled, living on soc. sec.,lost job 9/2003 (also quit paying on un-secured credit cards at that time) Did not charge on cards a yr or 2 prior to that - entire salary for 2 1/2 yrs went to pay credit cards.(Credit cards in my name only)

Have been enduring collection calls until recently...now I let it ring..Told them - no money, disabled, no way to add anything to monthly budget. Social security barely covers living expenses. In fact we went broke in stock market - to prove good faith I went out & got a job to pay cards. IRS has lien on house - can't afford bankruptcy.

So...comes a collection ltr representing somebody I never heard of who wants to collect what sounds to be the amount due on a credit card. BUT I've never signed anything with these people.

"No attorney with this firm has personally reviewed the circumstances of your account.""

Says their client may conider additional remedies and advises if a suit is filed I could be liable for court costs.

SHOULD I WRITE and tell them I have no contract with their client? Upon request - they will provide name of original creditor...geeez - what is going on?

Am I liable to this firm I have no contract with?
Last edited:


This suggestion comes from another member on the board named :Seniorjudge
He is the author of this advise and I recommend his procedure:

Standard answer on expired SOL and/or validation and/or dispute letters. There are thousands of posts similar to yours on this forum so I have prepared a standard answer.



Validation letter samples you can get at :
and www.creditboards.com

Disputes: You can write a letter of dispute to the three credit reporting agencies.

Go this website to find instructions and samples for how to dispute: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/

Sometimes errors are easy to remove and sometimes they stick like glue. It is inexpensive to try and not difficult.

My reply is simple- request debt validation and DO NOT under any circumstances speak with them. Get everything in writing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential