• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection of 11 Year old debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grnavarro

What is the name of your state? California
I closed a checking account I had with Bank X in 1991. I received a letter from a collection agency in Dec. 1995 saying I owed this bank $158.24. I disputed this since I know I didn't have any outstanding charges with Bank X. After months of calls and letters from the Collection agency, it stopped. Now I just received another letter from a different collection agency saying I owe $353.99 for collection of the same Bank X debt. After calling the agency they said I could settle the claim now if I pay $250. I refused and they told me to call back in 4 days or "Action will be taken". As I write this I am printing out the FDCPA and plan to read this. But is there "Action" that can be taken against me? I have a totally clean credit report and want to keep it that way.

G

gottago

Send the collector a letter via certified, return-receipt mail. Tell them that the statute of limitations has expired on this debt, and that you do not want to receive any further letters or calls concerning the debt.

Whatever you do, do not send them any money, sign anything or agree to anything. Doing so will cause you a lot more trouble.

The debt is so old that they cannot legally report it on your credit report or obtain a court judgement. If they try to place it on your credit report, you could sue them for violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

The threat they made is just a bluff. Many collectors do this with old debts. They know that most people don't know the law, and that they can scare you into paying in order to save your credit.

They send out thousands of letters like the one you received. If they get a call back from you, they know that they have a sucker on the line (no offense), and that they can get some money from you. Don't fall for it.

G

grnavarro

Update: I went out and sent the letter right away, and got verification the letter was received, and have not heard a thing from the debt collectors.
Thanks very much for the help and advice!

N

nonobaddog

currently in alabama, but i am a resident of massachusetts.
I am a military member wondering tha statue of limitation (yrs) on an old debt.. here is the problem chase manhattan is saying that i owe them money,,I had a car loan with chase,,paid it off.. on the car loan they added what was a charge they said i had. wondering what i can do...

thanks in advance

JETX

Dog: most senior members of the forum do not respond to messages that have been 'piggybacked' onto someone elses thread.

I would suggest you post this as a new thread and provide far more details... like dates, state the debt occured in, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">