• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection on me and the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

worleyfan

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
yes I have this company that contacted me about a check that I had wrote back in 1995 well the check bounced and they are wanting to collect which I am willing to pay for this I have explained to this company that I can not pay in full but can paysome each week.If I keep paying them something each week can they still call the law after me.I told them I didnt regonize this but I am willing to take care of it I dont want the law after me but I am not sure what to do.please help.thanks Tammie

Ladynred

Hey.. I'm in Nashville too !! :D

There's no guarantee that if you pay them 'something' every week or every month that they still won't sue you. You would have to get an agreement, IN WRITING, from them, accepting your payment amount in order to have any hope. I doubt they'll 'call the law' on you, since the thing is already 7 years old, but if they sue you they can get a judgment and garnish your wages, freeze your bank accounts, etc.

I take it you're being harrassed by a collection agency ???

W

worleyfan

yes I do have a collection agency calling me but I will keep sending them money and hope they will accept it and not call the law Thanks for all of your help Tammie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">