• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lindsey3175

What is the name of your state? ct
I have owed $1277.99 to providan finanical for 2 years. They sold my account to two collection agencies who have the balance as $1277.99. In January of 2002 another Ca contacted me and said I now owe $1777.67 the increase was interest and if i contacted them in 10 days i would only owe the orignal amount. In july I sent s letter saying i could make a monthly payment and sent $50.00. I then recieved a invoice with a payment date I did not agree to and a note saying if I did not pay by that day a $10.00 late fee will be added! I sent another letter disputeing the intrest.
He sent a letter back saying i obivously did not read my contract with providian saying I have to pay a default intrest of 19.99%. The clincher was he would be happy to drop the intrest if i provided my checking for auto draft( i dont think so!) or I can continue to mail my payment and intrest will accrue. My mother and I sat down and tried to figure the balances they had they did not compute. I sent a valadation letter yesterday. Is there anything I can do or will i be paying this off forever,

Ladynred

The validation letter was a good first move. Wait and see if they can provide proper validation. I hope you sent it certified mail, rrr.
In the meantime, I would make up an offer of a payment plan that YOU can afford, not the one they demand (and they will). All they want is money.. and if you have nothing they can take, you might get them to agree to your terms. See if they validate.. then take it from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">