• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sergio Arreguin

To be more specific on how to clear my name from the collection agency. Here is the information. There were 4 visits to doctor's Steinberg office sa follows: 10-21-98,11-04-98,11-10-98,11-25-98.All the visits were paid by United Health Insurance but the visit on 11-10-98 because the billing deparment from doctor's Steinberg failed to submit a claim for payment. When I received a bill from the doctor on 02-99, I called the insurance and they told me that they had pay the other visits but that they never received a claim for the oher one, they told to contact my doctor,which I did, and remind him that they have a contract that allows them 90 days to submit a claim, otherwise they wouldn't be responsible, neither should be the patient for the fees.Now 2 years later they sent me to collection, I respond them and provided the receipts. At first they wanted me to pay $820 dlls. and now they want $585 dlls. for one visit to doctor's office. All of my visits were for the same purpose, to get ultrasound on a high risk multiple pregnancy.Should I be liable for this bill?

R

rrg956

No you are not liable for the bill. As long as you had valid insurance coverage at the time and as long as the procedures and/or treatments were covered, you are liable only for any deductible or co-payment. The only other obligation you have is to your insurance company or HMO to answer any questions neccessary for them to investigate your treatment. The problem sure sounds like your doctor forgot to bill your insurance company. While there are usually signs in doctors offices saying that "the patient is responsible for services rendered", it doesn't apply when the doctor's staff forgets to send the bill to the insurance company for 2 years.

As for the collection agency; send them one letter. Send a copy of your insurance card showing that you had valid ins. coverage AT THE TIME of your visits to the doctor's office. Tell them that the doctor forgot to bill the insurance company and if they want to sue you, bring it on. They will go away.

THE FOREGOING MAY NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">