• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections company coming after an LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ster1

What is the name of your state? CO

Hello, new to the forum.
My name is Pete. I have a question for the masses. I own a single member LLC (sole proprietorship) and I have a collections company coming after me. I signed up for an Ebay store that I never used, and don't feel like paying the 80 dollar termination fee. At the end of the day, it's only 80 dollars, but it's the principle for me.

So my question is, what can the collections company do to me or my company? I don't have any liens, any debt, I own everything outright. I do rent my commercial space. Credit for my business doesn't matter to me. I mostly run cash transactions anyway, and don't plan on needing credit.

What's the worst they can do, just get a judgement against the company? Can they seize things I own, like my shop equipment or tools?

Thanks for your help!

Whoops2u

They can do plenty of things. But, they won't. $80 is not worth the time to review and file a case even at minimum wage. I think credit for the LLC is the main issue. Keep track at your own credit too. I suspect you don't want your personal credit be dinged and I also suspect the LLC is a single member LLC that you have not kept separate from your personal activity enough to give full protection. If they know who you are personally and report you, you might find it hard to get the item removed.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state? CO

Hello, new to the forum.
My name is Pete. I have a question for the masses. I own a single member LLC (sole proprietorship) and I have a collections company coming after me. I signed up for an Ebay store that I never used, and don't feel like paying the 80 dollar termination fee. At the end of the day, it's only 80 dollars, but it's the principle for me.

So my question is, what can the collections company do to me or my company? I don't have any liens, any debt, I own everything outright. I do rent my commercial space. Credit for my business doesn't matter to me. I mostly run cash transactions anyway, and don't plan on needing credit.

What's the worst they can do, just get a judgement against the company? Can they seize things I own, like my shop equipment or tools?

Thanks for your help!
Who owns everything outright, Pete or LLC?
Who rents the commercial space, Pete or LLC?
Who signed up for the ebay store, Pete or LLC?
Who runs the cash transactions, Pete or LLC?
Who owns shop equipment or tools, Pete or LLC?

What principle are you standing on that paying the $80 would violate?

adjusterjack

What's the worst they can do, just get a judgement against the company?
Theoretically, yes, and they can also get a judgment against you personally. With a judgment, they can do a lot of unpleasant things, many of which won't likely be successful, but could tie you up in court and cost you money in litigation.

Without a judgment, the item can go on your credit report. You don't need credit now, but you might need it later. By then the debt will have grown astronomically and you'll have to pay it if you want the credit bad enough.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP says that the reason he doesn't want to pay is because it's the "principle" of the matter. Well, the "principle" of the matter is that the OP agreed to this when he signed up for the service. It's apparent that the OP is not very "principled" or he would pay what he agreed to pay when he signed up for the service.

ster1

Thank you to all those who actually tried to help. The rest of you judgemental dicks need a hobby. Nice forum.

Whoops2u

Being a judgmental dick is a not just a hobby, it's a career
A career? How do I sign up? Here I've been a judgmental dick for free. I consider it akin to a charitable contribution to a guy with a sign by the side of the road. You can't deduct it, but, it makes you feel a little better about yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">