• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections for school tuition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmddnswlgus

What is the name of your state? NJ

The CA is from PA.
My son has received a letter from CA on May 3 that he has total of $1700 pay within 30 days.
It is his school tuition, not a tuition loan, that we couldn't make pay due to the financial issue.
We made 3 phone calls to negotiate and the agent who handles my son's account tells us the same thing every time we call and no negotiation at all.
She said that if we don't make full payment within 30 days, which is June 3, it affects my son's credit score.

Even if we pay full amount when she lowers the total amount, NO.
And if we make monthly payment, it will still affect my son's credit score.
I said that I have 9th grade daughter and I have medical condition with no job and my son just started a job but he needs to pay the rent, the utilities, and etc.

What should I do?
We have only a week or so until June 3.
All we could scrap up was about $800.

justalayman

Did you sign as a guarantor for your sons debt?

If not, presuming your son is now an adult, why doesn’t your son pay his debt?

commentator

Perhaps your son could hold off on the rent and utilities (if it is for him a separate residence) and live with you till he pays off this debt. If he comes up with $800 now, and the biggest threat is that it will "affect his credit" that's a long way from ruining his life.

Dandy Don

What type of school is this--is it a college or university or a trade school?

Is he in school now or is he out of school and is this company or school is asking for his tuition debt that is past due?

How old is your son and what is he majoring in or what is his course of study--what type of courses is he taking?

Does this school have a financial aid department that your son could contact to apply for a grant or a loan or a scholarship?

It is very odd that an "agent" would be asking about tuition. Please check out this school or this "C.A." company online to find out if it is legitimate or a scam.

You do NOT need to be pressured into paying this. So what if the account goes on his credit score. That is nothing to be worried about. If your son can start working and pay this debt off in the future, his credit score will improve. Let your son take care of this and stop worrying about it--keep your money for your own family's bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">