• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections? I cancelled twice!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

necrolin

What is the name of your state? Ontario (Canada).

I'm upset with Premier Fitness. I cancelled my account in writing. They kept on taking money out of my account so I called the bank had them stop all payments to the company & got my money back. It took me a month of calling them to ensure that my account was closed. Now 3 years later they say that I owe them almost $2,000 & have sent me to collections. They require me to proove that I cancelled. I have no proof:( anymore. Is there anything that I can do to clear my "bad credit"? I have excellent credit aside from this one issue:mad: .

N

necrolin

They want to settle for $400 & give me 2 days to pay. Should I settle? I don't want to because I feel that I don't owe them any, but what's the worse of the 2 evils....:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

necrolin said:
Search engine...why?:confused:

My response:

Because for some unknown reason, in the last 4 to 5 days, we've been getting an onslaught of Canadian writers. I was thinking there must be some source out there that is referring Canadians to us.

Why am I saying this?

It's not because I dislike our good neighbors to the North, rather, it's because this site says, all over the place in bold RED writing, that FreeAdvice.Com is for "U.S. Law only." We're not getting posts from any other English speaking country other than Canada, so I thought there must be some specific source that is referring Canadians to this site.

And, when you saw the question "What is the name of your state?", you answered "Ontario (Canada)." That should have been a "tip off" that something was wrong; i.e., Ontario is not a "state."

So, that makes me believe that certain Canadians are not understanding, or reading, or for some reason they believe that Canada is a part of the United States. It's not.

Canadian laws and procedures are different than ours. Therefore, we can't help you.

IAAL

Last edited:
N

necrolin

I was just hoping on some advice & sorry I didn't read the part of it being just for the states. This site actually comes up as one of the top 5 sites when searching for: legal advice with the option turned on to search Canadian sites only.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

necrolin said:
I was just hoping on some advice & sorry I didn't read the part of it being just for the states. This site actually comes up as one of the top 5 sites when searching for: legal advice with the option turned on to search Canadian sites only.

My response:

Thank you letting me know this. If you would be so kind as to tell me the name of the Search Engine you used, I will have the Administrator correct this problem.

Thanks again.

IAAL

Ladynred

Whie Canadian laws are certainly different from US laws, it wouldn't surprise me any if a lot of the same things apply there as do here.

You might try asking your question here - its a Canadian site :)

http://www.thecreditdoctor.com/faq.html

Not all that surprisingly, the CRA's in Canada are the EXACT same CRA's as in the U.S.

N

necrolin

Search on Sympatico.ca (With Canadian sites only selected) for: legal advice forums. Turns up #6 Legal Forums from which I chose Free Advice Forum.

N

necrolin

Ladynred said:
Whie Canadian laws are certainly different from US laws, it wouldn't surprise me any if a lot of the same things apply there as do here.

You might try asking your question here - its a Canadian site :)

http://www.thecreditdoctor.com/faq.html

Not all that surprisingly, the CRA's in Canada are the EXACT same CRA's as in the U.S.

Thanks I'll try them out.

S

Shoestring

I sure hope that there are more people on this forum like Ladynred to help people with their problems...

This is merely my opinion based on what I have read and this statement is not to be used for anything other than my opinion...

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Shoestring said:
I sure hope that there are more people on this forum like Ladynred to help people with their problems...

This is merely my opinion based on what I have read and this statement is not to be used for anything other than my opinion...

My response:

There are. But our original writer is in Canada. The American federal laws; e.g., the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, is strictly American and will not help our writer. I don't know the comparable Canadian law, if it exists - - and, since most of our FreeAdvice contributors are practiced in American law, we can't help foreign writers. Legal interpretations and procedures are undoubtedly different because we understand our laws based upon American State and Federal Constitutions - - not Canadian.

Ladynred does a very nice job helping people, and she did so by referring our writer to a Canadian site. However, our writer had already found many other Canadian legal sites on her own.

IAAL

N

necrolin

Just decided to update you. Someone is trying to rip me off. I went down to the fitness club & they told me that my account is closed and at a balance of zero dollars. This still does not help me with my credit rating though. I still have to deal with collections, except that now I have proof that my account is good. I will be getting the police involved if this does not get resolved by the end of the day. Some people suck.

Thanks again for any help that I recieved here. (Even though I am Canadian:rolleyes: ) )

smorr

cancelled account

Forget the police - try telling them you'll speak with your attorney/counsel and have him help you resolve this matter. Also, make sure (I don't think this statement has a boundary line....) you get the fact that this place did indeed cancel your account in writing signed by a duly recognized officer/administrator of the company. Then send that to the collection agency (a copy - keep the original) and let them know you'll be contacting an attorney on this matter. Pay them NOTHING!!!

N

necrolin

Re: cancelled account

smorr said:
Also, make sure (I don't think this statement has a boundary line....) you get the fact that this place did indeed cancel your account in writing signed by a duly recognized officer/administrator of the company. Then send that to the collection agency ... Pay them NOTHING!!!
I'm not going to pay them any. I called the collections agency & they told me that they were in the process of sending my file to the Credit Bureau with a note that it was an error. They tell me that this is now out of their hands. I'm still trying to get this in writing, but apparently this is against their company policy. I'll be speaking with a manager at the company some time within the next hour. I want to avoid getting a lawyer involved unless I have to...their expensive & I'm a student:( .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">