• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collective Barganing agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Myself and 1000 others are employed on a daily basis by a VERY profitable company in New York state.

We work along with staff employees who have an extensive employee benefits package. The number of staff employees are 1/4 of the number of daily employees, whereas they used to number in the thousands. The staff has been thinned by retirement, forced buyouts, etc.

We all work under a collective bargaining agreement. The agreement has been so ravaged by the company, there are no benefits given to daily employees.

If the union feels the company is taking advantage of it's daily employees, can the union sue ON BEHALF of the daily employees? Or are we "permatemp" (over 230 days a year for 5 years!) employees forced to sign our names on a class action legal suit, and risk retaliation by the company?

Is there another way of forcing the company to provide the same benefits to all it's employees uniformly?

Thankx.... used and abused



Your union, through its own attorneys, can certainly bring grievances against the employer on behalf of the employees covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The CBA will explain the grievance procedure that the union has to follow when bringing grievances against the company. Further direction is provided by the extensive law and cases dealing with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).

If the Union did indeed have to sue the company, then the Union is doing it on behalf of all its employees. I wouldn't worry about the details of such legal actions though. Rather, I would advise you to bring up any grievances to your union steward. Lastly, such grievance procedures set out in the CBA are your exclusive remedy.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential