• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"college" debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member

I just received a letter a week ago saying i owe a trade school i withdrew from in December $1,276.00. i called the financial rep who sent the letter to ask what were the charges based on. and i was told that it was from being absent for 4 days. is that even legal to charge someone for absent days?
i still make student loan payments for this school. Getting a letter that i owe a 1,000 came out of nowhere. if anyone can help me,id appreciate- he gave me until the end of this month to start making payments on this. i barely manage to get by paying the loans every month,i cant afford to pay that off.

I went over the school catalog and didnt see anything pertaining to my situation. Everest College


Junior Member
This sounds like a rather unorthodox practice to say the least.

I would suggest writing the college requesting that they supply any and all documentation proving that you owe them money. (An agreement signed by you and the school, as well as any "proof" documentation such as class rosters and attendance records).

IF it looks like they have a rightful claim, I would suggest getting legal advice (most cities have a free or low cost legal aid office). Some things that "look" official, many times aren't.

If you end up having to pay, I would surely make a complaint to the state and federal boards of education, and the accreditation agency (I believe it ACICS). Lastly, just for the sheer pleasure of it, I would contact a reporter who might deem it a good “public interest” story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential