• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I'm posting this question in the hopes that it will catch the eye of someone who can give me direction.
We were helping our son look into continuing education options, here in the state of Florida. Two weeks ago, I suddenly found out that my ex has enrolled our son in a university 1,800 miles away, made living arrangements and found him a job! All without any discussion or input from me. Now that it's all "said and done", he's holding out his hand for money. What are my legal responsibilities under these circumstances?
I have every intention of continuing to support my son to the best of my ability. However, this seems a bit high-handed and unfair.
Thank you for your input.


Senior Member
what does your support order stipulate? some orders provide for support during college years, or for a portion of college expenses.


Response to Ambr


Thank you for your question.

No child support is exchanged for our oldest son, as he shares equal time with both households. This amendment to the Settlement Agreement was entered a number of years ago.

During heated "discussions" over the situation described in my earlier post, my ex has continued to insist that it is my legal responsibility to share in the cost of college for our son.

Input from well-meaning friends and family, cannot replace the clarification of someone "in the know". If you (or anyone) can answer my question, based on this added information, I would be so appreciative.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential