• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Screwed Up Financial Aid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnWRD

Hi all. I'm currently a grad student at CPP, scheduled to graduate in the Spring. I've been waiting for a while to receive my financial aid, and when I did, it wasn't what I was told I would be receiving. They took over a month to correct a mistake on my account (they had my name listed slightly wrong), and when the Financial Aid was released, they didn't offer me anything. I called and they said they ran out of funds before they could finish processing their correction, but they might able to send it when they receive more funding so I can pay for my next semester. This is my last semester. They also said I must pay by next week, and if not I won't graduate. I was relying on that FA to pay, and now I don't know what to do. They've also previously refused to give me the scholarship I was awarded because there was a mistake in the listing. Is there anything I can do?

quincy

California State Polytechnic, Pomona?

You need to work with the financial aid department.

JohnWRD

California State Polytechnic, Pomona?

You need to work with the financial aid department.
Yes. I tried. I was on hold for nearly an hour only for them to dismiss me and tell me that they didn't create my package on time - which, I'm not entirely sure what they meant because they wouldn't explain it to me. I'm planning on stopping by their office later, but I don't know if I even have any rights in this matter.

quincy

Yes. I tried. I was on hold for nearly an hour only for them to dismiss me and tell me that they didn't create my package on time - which, I'm not entirely sure what they meant because they wouldn't explain it to me. I'm planning on stopping by their office later, but I don't know if I even have any rights in this matter.
Meeting with someone is the way to handle it so it is good that you will be going to the financial aid office to speak with a financial aid officer.

What type of financial aid are you receiving (or did you expect to receive)?

JohnWRD

Meeting with someone is the way to handle it so it is good that you will be going to the financial aid office to speak with a financial aid officer.

What type of financial aid are you receiving (or did you expect to receive)?
A university grant. Like I said, I'm not even sure if I'm entitled to that money, but it's been a major hit after being promised aid twice only to have it not go through at the last minute.

quincy

A university grant. Like I said, I'm not even sure if I'm entitled to that money, but it's been a major hit after being promised aid twice only to have it not go through at the last minute.
Perhaps you will get some clarity on the grant when you meet in person with the financial aid officer. It should be easier for the university to figure out what happened with a university-based grant.

Good luck.

Dandy Don

Discuss this with a dean or with the vice president of the university. They may be able to influence the financial aid department to get this resolved or to find some other temporary measure (a loan, perhaps from another source) to help make things easier for you. How many students attend this university?

quincy

Discuss this with a dean or with the vice president of the university. They may be able to influence the financial aid department to get this resolved or to find some other temporary measure (a loan, perhaps from another source) to help make things easier for you. How many students attend this university?
A dean or vice president of a university generally will have nothing to do with, nor will have any influence over, a student's financial aid and if/how/when it is disbursed.

OpenLaw

I would contact your congressman/woman, explain to them the situation and they may provide a Federal inquiry to DOE.

quincy

Problems with grants originating with the university will need to be handled through the university's financial aid office.

Anyway, I think Betsy DeVos has her hands full already trying to secure the ties between the Department of Education and her lobbyist-friends.

Just Blue

Problems with grants originating with the university will need to be handled through the university's financial aid office.

Anyway, I think Betsy DeVos has her hands full already trying to secure the ties between the Department of Education and her lobbyist-friends.
Another stellar selection by our commandeer and creep.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I would contact your congressman/woman, explain to them the situation and they may provide a Federal inquiry to DOE.
How odd.

I would contact my department head, because as a graduate student my department head might be able to scrape up some funds for a teaching or research assistantship, or at least some paper grading. There may even be an outside employer who would be interested in having OP.

I would then contact my dean. And ombudsman. And student government - as OP is unlikely to be the only student in this situation.

Furthermore, because this is a public university, it would be wise to go up the academic ladder within the state before one even thinks of going to the federal level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">