• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College trying to charge me for classes I didn’t attend under extenuating circumstances.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ltubbe

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

Hi! I attended Western Michigan University. I had to withdraw from a semester because of financial issues.

I never qualified for financial aid and never even filled out a FAFSA (which are due several months before the semester starts anyways). I also didn’t qualify for any scholarships because I was a transfer student and wasn’t exactly an ‘A’ student (I still passed all of my classes, just not enough for any scholarships because they are very competitive.)

My parent was paying for school when he had to pay a lot of legal fees for his business and couldn’t afford to pay for my tuition anymore. At this point in time, I was registered for classes. I withdrew from them but they wanted me to pay for the tuition still.

I appealed the tuition charges but they denied my appeal and told me that I could have applied for scholarships (the link they sent me to WMU’s available scholarships, I was not eligible for) or financial aid (my parents made too much money at the time, before the legal fees they had to pay came up).

I appealed within the year time frame but they sent me to collections after 6 months, hurting my credit extremely to the point I can’t get a loan if I tried.

Is this legal? Any way of getting out of this?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

Hi! I attended Western Michigan University. I had to withdraw from a semester because of financial issues.no. You

I never qualified for financial aid and never even filled out a FAFSA (which are due several months before the semester starts anyways). I also didn’t qualify for any scholarships because I was a transfer student and wasn’t exactly an ‘A’ student (I still passed all of my classes, just not enough for any scholarships because they are very competitive.)

My parent was paying for school when he had to pay a lot of legal fees for his business and couldn’t afford to pay for my tuition anymore. At this point in time, I was registered for classes. I withdrew from them but they wanted me to pay for the tuition still.

I appealed the tuition charges but they denied my appeal and told me that I could have applied for scholarships (the link they sent me to WMU’s available scholarships, I was not eligible for) or financial aid (my parents made too much money at the time, before the legal fees they had to pay came up).

I appealed within the year time frame but they sent me to collections after 6 months, hurting my credit extremely to the point I can’t get a loan if I tried.

Is this legal? Any way of getting out of this?
1. Yes this is legal
2. No. You are responsible

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">