• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyndi59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My husband has had custody of my SD since she was 8 years old. When her mother went on SSI or SSDI (not sure) they took $150.00 every month and sent it to my DH. Started in 2007. Now that she is in college, can her mother be forced to pay anything for college? She would not allow me to adopt her, so I think she should have to pay something. I'm probably wrong, just asking!:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My husband has had custody of my SD since she was 8 years old. When her mother went on SSI or SSDI (not sure) they took $150.00 every month and sent it to my DH. Started in 2007. Now that she is in college, can her mother be forced to pay anything for college? She would not allow me to adopt her, so I think she should have to pay something. I'm probably wrong, just asking!:rolleyes:
You are definitely wrong and your attitude is ridiculous -- since mom wouldn't allow you to take her child away from her she should pay? That is a selfish pathetic attitude.

LdiJ

You are definitely wrong and your attitude is ridiculous -- since mom wouldn't allow you to take her child away from her she should pay? That is a selfish pathetic attitude.
On top of that she is expecting mom to pay for college out of SSI or SSDI benefits? People can barely live on that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
On top of that she is expecting mom to pay for college out of SSI or SSDI benefits? People can barely live on that.
Mom's income might allow the child to attend college strictly on grants. MIGHT. Not saying it would. However quite frankly if the child is in college, it is time for the child to recognize that they are legally an adult (most likely the odds are and yes I know some minors do attend college classes) and as an adult there are responsibilities as well as rewards.

Antigone*

Wow...just wow:eek::eek::mad:

Antigone*

OG,

Check out this poster's history. She is the president of your fan club. I wonder if this thinks this advice is right on:rolleyes:

I think she may just resign from the club;)

LdiJ

Also, I will add that they did not take that 150.00 FROM mom. That 150.00 was an additional benefit for the child that expired when she turned 18.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG,

Check out this poster's history. She is the president of your fan club. I wonder if this thinks this advice is right on:rolleyes:

I think she may just resign from the club;)
I have a fan club? IS there a convention? Can we have it in Florida? And she is going to resign? Dang. Losing members left and right.

ETA: Reviewed her history.
Well she did say she loved my answers and that I don't play. So hopefully she realizes I ain't playing with her. Arrgh. hey OP, hopefully you didn't mean how you came across. Reread and see where we are a bit ummm perturbed with your idea.

Last edited:

Cyndi59

Wow, I screwed that one up

Actually, I should of just asked this question of Ohiogal. I came off completely wrong. My SD's mother has not acknowledged her in 10 years. As much as I wanted to adopt her, her mother said NO! She is constantly in chatrooms talking about how proud she is of her daughter being in college. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem pay for her tuition but, I thought her mother should help. She's on SSI and also working fulltime under the table. No way to prove that one. I guess I'll just continue to do what I do. Act as SD's mother.
Thanks, OG, didnt mean to come off sounding the way I did.

Gracie3787

I guess I'll just continue to do what I do. Act as SD's mother.
Since SD is now an adult, you do not have to just "act" as her mother, you can become her legal mother. Once she became an adult she no longer needs her mother's permission to be adopted by you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Since SD is now an adult, you do not have to just "act" as her mother, you can become her legal mother. Once she became an adult she no longer needs her mother's permission to be adopted by you.
What Gracie said. And realize something else, YOU do not have to pay for her college. Even if you are a legal parent. No child is OWED a college education -- it is nice if you can afford one but it is not a requirement that the parents pay for it.

Wow, I screwed that one up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I should of just asked this question of Ohiogal. I came off completely wrong. My SD's mother has not acknowledged her in 10 years. As much as I wanted to adopt her, her mother said NO! She is constantly in chatrooms talking about how proud she is of her daughter being in college. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem pay for her tuition but, I thought her mother should help. She's on SSI and also working fulltime under the table. No way to prove that one. I guess I'll just continue to do what I do. Act as SD's mother.
Thanks, OG, didnt mean to come off sounding the way I did.
You sounded bad. She won't give her to me so she should pay! Ummm, not the way that works. Talk to your SD about doing an adult adoption. You don't need mom's permission for it and your SD could then become YOUR LEGAL CHILD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">