• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colllateral Protection Insurance in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelTX

I financed my vehicle in 2013 and have maintained full coverage insurance on my vehicle the entire time. My Credit Union (CU) placed CPI on my loan beginning in Janaury of 2017. In December of 2016, I switched my insurance from USAA to GEICO and upon switching, my new insurance company notified my lender of the change in insurance information. I was not notified that I was going to have this insurance placed on my account and beginning in March of 2017 they added $195.00 to my principal. Then in November of 2017 I changed my insurance to Progressive so that my homeowner's policy and auto policy would all be with one company. They never got that information either and I sent it to the lender twice.

I recently received a letter in the mail stating that they were going to be placing CPI on my vehicle because they had no record of me having insurance. I started digging a little bit and discovered that they had been charging me since the beginning of 2017. I called the lender and she said that they had been sending my notices to a previous address and that it was my responsibility to update my address with them. I have in my emails the requested change of address form from this time that I was to print out and mail in which I did. So now, with 18 months of charges having been added to my principal and sending document after document after document to both the lender and the CPI company, they still are telling me that they don't have all of the information that they need. They keep telling me that they don't have this and they don't have that. Both myself and my insurance company have sent over every document possible including a letter of experience, declarations pages, insurance ID cards, policy coverages and several other items.

Total they charged me $1170.00 for this CPI and I have managed to get them to refund $455.00. We are talking about a remaining sum of $650.00 during a 10 month period that they are not agreeing to refund. Is there anything I can do, would it be worth it and should I just forget about it and take it as a loss?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">