• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado Div with Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My brother lives in Colorado. Four years ago, he married a woman with two teenage children. They moved in with him. Then they upgraded the mobile home on his land in which they lived.

The children, now 21 and 16, do not live in the home. The woman has become physically violent (slapping, hitting, throwing) when others are not present with my brother.

He's tried doctors, counselors, church friends. His life is miserable and he's had it.

He wants a divorce but has had a bad experience with lawyers.

Because there is the possibility of violence, I feel he should have advice and representation. He does not have much money. They have discussed divorce, but she says that if he files, she will take everything he has.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Shouldn't he document the violence?

Can he stay in the home since the land was his before the marriage?

Can he stay in the home and liquidate his assets and give her what she has coming?

Is there anyone in Colorado that can help do this without costing alot of money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential