• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

commercial lease eviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevent10

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I had a signed commercial lease to rent space. Lease expired several years ago, but I've remained renting (we did not resign). The original terms called for the landlord to give 90 day notice to vacate, however, the landlord wants me out in 30 days. Do I have to go or can I wait the 90 days? Do the original terms hold up, or since we never resigned or they void?

What does the lease say regarding this issue........

for example my lease (Texas Apartment Assoc. lease) states that if the lease is not renewed at the end of its term it automatically becomes a month-to-month lease, but that all of the provisions of the lease are still valid (sorry, don't have the exact working in front of me.)

If it didn't have some provision in it like that I would think they would just need to give you the appropriate notice required by your state law. If it does have something like that I would send them a Certified letter, Return Receipt Requested with a photocopy of the appropriate lease points highlighted letting them know that you'll be happy to make the appropriate arrangements to vacate the property once they give you the appropriate notice.

Karla in Amarillo

HomeGuru

stevent10 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I had a signed commercial lease to rent space. Lease expired several years ago, but I've remained renting (we did not resign). The original terms called for the landlord to give 90 day notice to vacate, however, the landlord wants me out in 30 days. Do I have to go or can I wait the 90 days? Do the original terms hold up, or since we never resigned or they void?

**A: post the exact language in your lease with respect to the notice to vacate and the termination provisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">