• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial Lease in Default

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a physician leasing space that gets flooded due to improper drainage on a regular basis. This flooding is not only a health hazard because of standing water, but also makes it impossible for me to use 3 of my 4 patient consulting rooms. I have notified the landlord on numerous occasions both verbally and in writing that the problem was urgent and needed to be fixed. Unfortunately, nothing has been done to remedy the problem and I am flooded yet again. My questions are:
#1 Where in Texas do I report this negligent landlord
#2 Is there a State appointed commercial tenant advocate in Texas other than a hired attorney?
#3 Can I hire a contractor to provide an estimate on the cost of necessary repairs to fix the problem and then turn them into the landlord with fee chargeback? Can I get the problem fixed and chargeback?
#4 Is there any other course of action open to me other than notifying him of the default and moving? (this being the last resort as my patient base is local)

Your help is truly appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential