• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commerical Lease - Back Due Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C_In_FLA

My Florida based business was in a leased office location for the past three years. The lease has ended and we are no longer occupying the building. At the point of departure, the back due rent was over 15 months worth - totalling over $50k due.

I am attempting to negotiate some sort of settlement happy to both sides. For the 15 months of arrears monies, there were never formal letters, nor any actions taken to collect, force us out, etc... I am happy to attempt to pay something, but nothing near the full balance due.

My question is, what is the legal status of this debt ?

It seems to me most leverage they had was while we occupied the unit - ie, to lock the doors, or kick us out. Now that we are out, and simply owe them money on a lease, what exactly does Florida law say is the law of the land ? They can sue, obviously for the back rent.

Is there a statue of limitations or maximum # of arrears months to pursue/collect ?
Is their negligence on there side for allowing it to fester for 15 months ?
Do I have a "best way forward" legally ???

Thanks in advance for any input or advice...
CF

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">