• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikebakst

I work for a company that wants to start commission. They want to give me 6%. My understanding is if I make lets say $28,700 in 2 weeks and I take the 6% then the hours I work and any overtime come out of the 6% and the difference is my commission. Is that legal

Last edited:

LdiJ

I work for a company that wants to start commission. They want to give me 6. My understanding is if I make lets say $28,700 in 2 weeks and I take the 6 then the hours I work and any overtime come out of the 6 and the difference is my commission. Is that legal
It sounds like they are giving you guaranteed money by giving you a draw against your commission, including overtime. That is perfectly legal.

FlyingRon

It's not YOUR money, it's their money. Yes they can use commissions to offset you salary. If you work outside sales, you may be exempt from overtime anyhow.

Mikebakst

i Get guaranteed hourly and overtime. The gross I bring in in 2 weeks I get 6% of that and then they take my hourly and any overtime I work and the difference is commission. Is that legal

Last edited:

LdiJ

i Get guaranteed hourly and overtime. The gross I bring in in 2 weeks I get 6% of that and then they take my hourly and any overtime I work and the difference is commission. Is that legal
Yes, that is absolutely legal and VERY normal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">