• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Creative Use of Images

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eb84

Hello,

We are creating a sports magazine website. we will write new fresh content daily on the previous games and upcoming games as well as more general content about sports.
Currently, the site doesn't have ads but in the future, we are planning to add ads.

Can I use Creative Common images on this site (like from Flickr and Wikipedia), as long, of course, I follow all the guidelines like attribution with name and link of the author?
Does this kind of site is "Commercial use"? or can I use images that are "no commercial use" since it' "editorial use"?

quincy

Hello,

We are creating a sports magazine website. we will write new fresh content daily on the previous games and upcoming games as well as more general content about sports.
Currently, the site doesn't have ads but in the future, we are planning to add ads.

Can I use Creative Common images on this site (like from Flickr and Wikipedia), as long, of course, I follow all the guidelines like attribution with name and link of the author?
Does this kind of site is "Commercial use"? or can I use images that are "no commercial use" since it' "editorial use"?
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Whether you can use the images really depends on the licensing for each image you use.

In the US, editorial uses can be a fair use of copyrighted material but there are a lot of caveats that come with fair use, with the most important being that fair use is an affirmative defense to an unauthorized use and not permission to use the work.

The fact that your website has ads will not be the sole determining factor in a fair use decision. How the image itself is used is a weightier factor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">