• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Inheritance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

In New Hampshire Common Law Marriage is recognized only for inheritance purposes, following the death of one party.

I have been living with a man for over 25 years but we do not have joint bank accounts, do not file joint returns and my name is the only name on the house title/mortgage and a variety of CD's etc. Generally we do not present as husband & wife but we don't correct someone making that assumption. We refer to one another as "companion".
I have on adult child and I have a will that leaves all to her.

If I were to die first, would my companion have any legal recourse to any of my assets including the house? He knows that nothing is being left to him except one collection of mine and any items that specifically belong to him and that is stated in my will.

Conversely, if he were to die first, would I have any financial interest in his assets which are mostly a large collection of items with some value. He does not have a will & has 3 adult children.

Thank you.


Senior Member
Wouldn't the easiest way to make sure of that your companion gets what you want him to (or DON'T want him to (and vice versa) in the event of death be to have a skilled lawyer do some estate planning and draft a solid will for each of you?

Why does your husband (who has children) not have a will. Kind of irresponsible. No insult intended, but he needs to deal with that, for your sake and theirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential