• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community College forces students to buy only their e-books

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Some ebooks have exercises, quizzes, and other add-ons associated with them and these would vary by edition - often changing every year or two. In my experience both as a grad student and instructor was that while it was possible to order the ebook through the student bookstore, as long as you had the correct edition you were free to purchase it legally through another reseller. But, if you got the WRONG edition, you were out of luck.

OpenLaw

I guess what is being asked is, if there is a governing Civil Law which prohibits a conflict of interest in the College. Colleges do there legal homework with many law firms which help them. Colleges are defined as Higher Education. Only Higher Education governs Colleges. Here is what I found about Kansas. (b) The legislature shall provide for a state board of regents and for its control and supervision of public institutions of higher education. Public institutions of higher education shall include universities and colleges granting baccalaureate or post baccalaureate degrees and such other institutions and educational interests as may be provided by law. The state board of regents shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed by law.

Usually, these boards operate under given permission from the state to interpret a law, which then becomes the Administrative law for Higher Education. Those laws should be in the local rules of the College with other laws of greater weight. 10% drop , i am not sure if that is worth the fight
if you saved a lot of money.

quincy

I guess what is being asked is, if there is a governing Civil Law which prohibits a conflict of interest in the College. Colleges do there legal homework with many law firms which help them. Colleges are defined as Higher Education. Only Higher Education governs Colleges. Here is what I found about Kansas. (b) The legislature shall provide for a state board of regents and for its control and supervision of public institutions of higher education. Public institutions of higher education shall include universities and colleges granting baccalaureate or post baccalaureate degrees and such other institutions and educational interests as may be provided by law. The state board of regents shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed by law.

Usually, these boards operate under given permission from the state to interpret a law, which then becomes the Administrative law for Higher Education. Those laws should be in the local rules of the College with other laws of greater weight. 10% drop , i am not sure if that is worth the fight
if you saved a lot of money.
What are you talking about?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether there is a law that prohibits a college from requiring specific e-books and/or editions thereof, no, there is not.

quincy

If you are asking whether there is a law that prohibits a college from requiring specific e-books and/or editions thereof, no, there is not.
And, with eBooks, you likely cannot buy a "used" copy without violating the eBook license.

Reactions: cbg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">