• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community property claim by spouse.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwiggins

What is the name of your state? New Mexico
My ex-husband is the owner of a life insurance policy in which his two daughters are the beneficiaries, and they also pay the premiums. Someone told my daughters that they should change the ownership of the policy to avoid a possible claim of ownership by his spouse due to community property laws. The application for change of ownership requires his spouse's signature, which she will not give. Would his spouse have a claim to the insurance proceeds despite the beneficiary designation?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cwiggins said:
What is the name of your state? New Mexico
My ex-husband is the owner of a life insurance policy in which his two daughters are the beneficiaries, and they also pay the premiums. Someone told my daughters that they should change the ownership of the policy to avoid a possible claim of ownership by his spouse due to community property laws. The application for change of ownership requires his spouse's signature, which she will not give. Would his spouse have a claim to the insurance proceeds despite the beneficiary designation?

My response:

You haven't given enough pertinent factual information; e.g., is this a Military policy, or Term Life policy, or Whole Life policy? Also, when was the policy purchased? Was there ever any community funds used for it's payment of premiums? And, many, many more questions would need answering.

In any event, your daughters should seek the advice of an attorney on this subject because any response to you on these forums will require too many back and forth question and responses, and be very lengthy.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">