• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property/TX - VA Child Support Owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Virginia; my former husband, with terminal cancer lives in Texas (community property state). He owes me $36,000 in child support which I have never pressed for due to his illness and our amicable relationship. To my knowledge, his only asset is a life insurance policy of $250,000, but I know that he has many other debts.

Today I submitted a Motion and Notice for Judgment of Arrearages with the State of Virginia. On May 5, 2001 I will file an application for Child Support Enforcement Services. My only goal is to be first in line, before other creditors, to collect this back child support.

How does community property law in Texas effect my collection debt for child support? He married during the past year and his new wife has considerable assets. I tried to have him sign an informal (but notarized) acknowledgment of his debt, but he declined based upon Texas legal counsel. I don't want any more than is due to me.

Please advise. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential