• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? I live in California. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, since my ex-fiance and I (not married)accumulated propterty together. We bought a house Well, we broke up and he agreed to sell the house to me, so all I have to do is give him his down payment. He also asked for the engagement ring, which I would have no problem giving back but I helped pay for it. I put in $3,000 and he put in $5,000. I told him that I wouldn't give him the ring unless he gave me $3,000 or deducted that amount from the down payment of the house. He told me that he was going to get a lawyer, so I don't know what my rights are? Also, he's no longer living in the house, I am. He agreed to help pay his half of the mortgage until the home sale paperwork was finalized, but now he's backing out. What can I do to get him to pay for his half? And he also took some of my things and everything he ever bought me...aren't gifts,gifts? He also owns another home (sole owner) we lived there together for 8 mons and I helped him rent the house out. I'm listed as a landlord on the rental contract with the tenants, am I entitled to receive portion of the rent? Please, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Last edited:


Senior Member
My response:

Your issues are far too many, and intertwined, requiring detailed advice that cannot be offered on a Bulletin Board. See a local Family Law attorney for a consultation, and amongst your many issues, whether you qualify under a "Marvin vs. Marvin" relationship contract.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential