• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Comp Time or alternate day off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

explorerfl

What is the name of your state? Florida

Employees are considered professionals where I work. That means we are off the clock. We rotate a pager so that one of us is always on call 24 hrs. a day.

In the past when we worked weekends and holidays, we would get comp time for weekend work or another day off for the holiday. My boss has told us that would no longer be policy.

When asked how to log our time for calls during a holiday, we were told to log it as overtime. We don't get paid for overtime.

My question is this. Is it an unfair labor practice to give employees paid holidays but then not give an alternate day when they must work those holidays?

Beth3

No. There are no laws that require employers to give comp time in the private sector. In fact, it's prohibited by wage and hour laws for non-exempt employees who MUST be paid overtime for all hours worked in excess of 40 per week, although there is nothing that would prevent an employer from being more generous than the law requires.

If you are exempt, there is no legal requirement you be paid for your overtime under any circumstances, or that you be offered comp time. If you work in the private sector, there isn't even any requirement for your employer to offer paid holidays, much less provide other time off if you work on a holiday.

Absent an employment contract with specifications to the contrary, your employer may change their policies as they deem necessary.

This isn't remotely an unfair labor practice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">