• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company cancels my online purchase without any notification.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warren Chase

I live in California and recently made an online purchase through CPG Armor. They were advertising a promo code through Facebook that significantly lowered the price of the product I was interested in. When I chose to go to their site through a provided think, I was instantly offered a different promo code, as long as I gave up my name and email. I did so. Afterwards, returning to the product page, I added it to my online cart and proceeded to enter my 2 codes. In doing so, I was able to purchase the product for nothing but the price of shipping. I made the purchase and received a receipt and order number that I then saved on file and made a printed copy of.

Now, a few days later, I decided to check on the progress of my order. To my surprise, their website said my order didn’t exist. I contacted the company’s support team, and they told me that it had been cancelled because I wasn’t allowed to use 2 different codes like that. However, nowhere on their site, nor their terms and conditions does is say anything about prohibiting the use of more than one code, nor can I find anything about a “sellers remorse” clause. The website allowed me to use the two different codes, and I have proof of purchase. They also never contacted me about cancelling my order.

Obviously I am displeased by this outcome. I would like to know if they are indeed allowed to cancel my purchase without notification, and if not, is there anything I can do about? Thank you in advance.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I live in California and recently made an online purchase through CPG Armor. They were advertising a promo code through Facebook that significantly lowered the price of the product I was interested in. When I chose to go to their site through a provided think, I was instantly offered a different promo code, as long as I gave up my name and email. I did so. Afterwards, returning to the product page, I added it to my online cart and proceeded to enter my 2 codes. In doing so, I was able to purchase the product for nothing but the price of shipping. I made the purchase and received a receipt and order number that I then saved on file and made a printed copy of.

Now, a few days later, I decided to check on the progress of my order. To my surprise, their website said my order didn’t exist. I contacted the company’s support team, and they told me that it had been cancelled because I wasn’t allowed to use 2 different codes like that. However, nowhere on their site, nor their terms and conditions does is say anything about prohibiting the use of more than one code, nor can I find anything about a “sellers remorse” clause. The website allowed me to use the two different codes, and I have proof of purchase. They also never contacted me about cancelling my order.

Obviously I am displeased by this outcome. I would like to know if they are indeed allowed to cancel my purchase without notification, and if not, is there anything I can do about? Thank you in advance.
What did you find when you read the company's TOS?

Warren Chase

What did you find when you read the company's TOS?

I’m afraid I found nothing having to do with “sellers remorse,” for lack of a better term. Mostly had to do with Trademarks, return policies, warrenties, etc. It said absolutely nothing about reserving any right to cancel my order after payment, or anything about only being allowed to use one promo code at a time. I have their TOS printed out, in case they decide to change is soon, so I can post those later today after work, maybe sooner is I can find them on the website again.

Mass_Shyster

You can sue them for breach of contract, but you agreed to the jurisdiction of the Ohio court. It may not be worth the cost to sue in Ohio if you’re in. California.

There’s also a disclaimer. “The information provided at this Site is not guaranteed as to its accuracy, veracity or otherwise, and may change with no prior notice to any user of the Site”. They may invoke that claiming the price shown was inaccurate.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You want to sue because they cancelled an order and didn't notify you. You were only paying shipping and handling. I would assume that charge either never went through or was refunded. Would that be correct? So, you are out the inconvenience of having to reorder the item. By the way, have you checked your spam folder to see if a message went there?

Is it annoying? Yes. What are your (quantifiable) losses? You haven't lost money. You have lost time. Was there a specific date by which you needed the item delivered?

You have already notified them and registered your displeasure. Depending on the size of your order, it might not be worth it to do much more.

Warren Chase

You want to sue because they cancelled an order and didn't notify you. You were only paying shipping and handling. I would assume that charge either never went through or was refunded. Would that be correct? So, you are out the inconvenience of having to reorder the item. By the way, have you checked your spam folder to see if a message went there?

Is it annoying? Yes. What are your (quantifiable) losses? You haven't lost money. You have lost time. Was there a specific date by which you needed the item delivered?

You have already notified them and registered your displeasure. Depending on the size of your order, it might not be worth it to do much more.

I asked if there was anything I could do about it. I also asked if they are allowed to cancel my order without notifying me. I respectfully request that nobody make assumptions about my situation, as it doesn’t help anyone.

I also now have proof that they did not issue me a refund until 2 days after cancelling my order. This cannot logically be legal. They have now threatened to report me to Homeland Security, and have banned me from their website for “fraud.” I don’t mind, but nothing I have done has been fraudulent or invalid, according to their terms and conditions on the date of my purchase.

At the very least, I will be reporting the company to the Bureau of Consumer Protection through the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the Better Buisness Bureau.

I appreciate any further advice, thank you in advance.

quincy

I asked if there was anything I could do about it. I also asked if they are allowed to cancel my order without notifying me. I respectfully request that nobody make assumptions about my situation, as it doesn’t help anyone.

I also now have proof that they did not issue me a refund until 2 days after cancelling my order. This cannot logically be legal. They have now threatened to report me to Homeland Security, and have banned me from their website for “fraud.” I don’t mind, but nothing I have done has been fraudulent or invalid, according to their terms and conditions on the date of my purchase.

At the very least, I will be reporting the company to the Bureau of Consumer Protection through the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the Better Buisness Bureau.

I appreciate any further advice, thank you in advance.
You seem to have things under control.

Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And I asked if you'd checked your spam folder, since it is likely multiple parties took advantage of this glitch in their ordering system.

Asking what your quantifiable losses were is not an assumption. You are in a legal forum. Whether you take legal action should be tempered by what damages you can prove. Monetary damage? None. Physical damage? Has someone been injured who would not have been injured if the order was delivered, for example.

They can argue that it was an oversight. But again, since they did issue a refund eventually, what were your losses in those 2 days? What legal remedy are you thinking would be appropriate?

Reactions: CTU

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">