• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company initiates fatigue management policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trotguy

Hi everyone. So the company I work for has initiated this fatigue management policy which states that the following:

Anyone who works for 13 shifts consecutively must take a 24-hour day off UNPAID.

**This is assuming 13 days working 12 hour shifts. Also, some of us workers are salaried, and some arent. Also, we are working abroad, meaning we are not in our state in which we reside. We are on per diem meals and lodging. Whether we take a day off, sick day, or anything else our company still charges our client for the hotel, rental car, and food for that day. This is assuming the employee remains in the area, and has not suffered any limited work capacity preventing them working.

My question is this: Since this day off is company mandated under EHS fatigue policy, is it legal under FLSA for it to be UNPAID?

The logic here is that I can work and am willing to work. My company says take a day off. I have to stay in the area which I am 1500 miles away from home. It is not like I can go home. This day off from our perspective should be paid.

Respectfully,

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Also, we are working abroad, meaning we are not in our state in which we reside.
If you are working outside the United States then the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not apply to your situation as the Act expressly states that it “shall not apply with respect to any employee whose services during the workweek are performed in a workplace within a foreign country”. FLSA § 213(f).

Note that even if the FLSA did apply, it would not require the employer to pay you for a day you do not work. That you are 1500 miles from home and cannot easily travel home for the day off doesn't make a difference.

trotguy

Thank you all for the replies. To be specific, my work is still within the continental US. Should have used a different word than abroad. lol Out of state was the term I lapsed on.

It is just odd to me that if the company says "you must take a day off...period"...then I have no choice but to take an unpaid day off. I want to work. I simply dont understand why it is my fault that i am losing a day without pay when it is my company stating this. I mean I am considered a salaried non-exempt worker. I get that I would receive at a minimum my weekly wage because I am salary, however just because they put me on standby, I feel that I should be paid for the standby time.

Much obliged

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand that you feel you should be paid; I understand the reasoning behind why you feel you should be paid.

However, regardless of your feelings or the reasoning thereof, under no US law are you entitled to be paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">