• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Internet Network

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

question534

My company asks us to log into their network to work from home. When we do this, everything we do at home on the internet is on our company network and carries our work computer's IP address.

I am paranoid that I stayed connected to the company VPN by mistake and got a couple hours of personal traffic on the company network.

My question: If I'm fired over this, could HR tell future employers?

Other info:
I've been concerned for some time that my employers let me go for other reasons, which is why I'm thinking of anything they could make an issue of. I'm actually ok with getting fired, as I've been considering moving. It's just concern about this affecting getting the next job.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your question is Yes. It is absolutely, 100% legal for an employer to tell a future employer the exact reason you were terminated.

That is not to say they will. Many employers will only provide dates of employment and maybe job title and/or salary.

But they CAN.

question534

The answer to your question is Yes. It is absolutely, 100% legal for an employer to tell a future employer the exact reason you were terminated.

That is not to say they will. Many employers will only provide dates of employment and maybe job title and/or salary.

But they CAN.
Any advice? I'd say no more than a 20% that my fear is correct. But since I'm considering moving anyway, any thoughts on the likelihood of employer stating I violated a policy if i did?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No possible way for me to give you odds. Some employers do; some employers don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">