• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company keeps sending me magazine. Can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Los-Angeles

What is the name of your state?California
A company keeps sending me this magazine. It's one of these free magazines that is probably sent to everyone in the city. I became annoyed by it because it often has what I consider political/cultural propaganda. I emailed them to take me off of their mailing list. They finally responded and agreed to stop sending this magazine. 6 months went by without any more magazines, until today. Another magazine arrived in my mailbox. It was addressed to my name -- not "resident" or anything like that.
Can I sue this company? If so, for how much?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?California
A company keeps sending me this magazine. It's one of these free magazines that is probably sent to everyone in the city. I became annoyed by it because it often has what I consider political/cultural propaganda. I emailed them to take me off of their mailing list. They finally responded and agreed to stop sending this magazine. 6 months went by without any more magazines, until today. Another magazine arrived in my mailbox. It was addressed to my name -- not "resident" or anything like that.
Sure, you can sue them. For how much? I would guess that you'll spend thousands of dollars for an outside chance of obtaining some sort of injunction. If you're asking if you will get money, the answer is that it's highly unlikely, and if you somehow do, it would like be a token amount (like $1). Your costs to pursue this will FAR exceed any money you might get.

quincy

Your question has nothing to do with personal injury or wrongful death.

Try sending the magazine back (return to sender). I don’t see that you have much of a lawsuit worth pursuing.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You may try to sue for an injunction (a court order prohibiting the company from mailing it to you) but I don't see any basis for a money judgment. Among other problems for a money judgment you appear to not have any financial loss caused by their mailing this stuff to you. Suit for injunction would need to be filed in superior court, not small claims court, and as others point out is likely to cost you thousands of dollars. Whether you'd get the injunction is another matter. Talk to a California civil litigation attorney if you want to pursue that. Or just promptly trash the magazine when you get it.

quincy

Give me a break. Just throw it in the trash. You can't stop junk mail. Even Quincy's suggestion fails after a while. Yeah, Q, I tried it. Still getting as much junk as I used to.
Haha. Yes. I tried it, too. It worked for awhile, at least.

One thing is clear: The receipt of junk mail certainly doesn’t rise to the level of a personal injury or wrongful death claim. :)

zddoodah

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, since no legal wrong has been committed and you have suffered no damages, you would lose. As long as any of us have been alive, junk mail has existed, and it probably always will exist. Throw it directly in the trash.

FlyingRon

Years ago a local newspaper continued to toss their paper into my yard after repeated requests to have them stop. Fortunately, I passed their office on the way to mine, so I would just toss it back at them as I went by. Not very effective, but satisfying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">