• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company not paying share of insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bailey06

What is the name of your state? FL
I work for a small company under 20 people. My boss was told by our insurance company that he is suposed to pay 1/2 the employee's portion of health insurance. He doesn't do this. What recourse do employees have if he doesn't pay his portion?

bailey06 said:
What is the name of your state? FL
I work for a small company under 20 people. My boss was told by our insurance company that he is suposed to pay 1/2 the employee's portion of health insurance. He doesn't do this. What recourse do employees have if he doesn't pay his portion?
First, there is no law requiring your employer to sponsor a group health insurance plan. However, insurance carriers provide for employers to elect either a contributory or non contributory plan. A contributory plan is one that is paid partially by the employee.

A contributory plan can be established where the employer's minimum premium contribution is set at 50% of the employee portion only. This is based on the elections in the plan document, or the employer’s participation request form. Based on the elections, the employer may not be responsible for any dependent contributions.

Is it possible that the employer is actually contributing 50% of the employee premium, but by factoring in the dependent premium you erroneously conclude the employer is not making the required 50% contribution? Or, is the employer not making any contributions to the employee portion of the plan?

If the employer is not contributing the required amount I'm not sure there is anything you can do to force the issue. Once aware of a violation to the participation agreement the insurance carrier may communicate the specifics in writing, and give the employer an opportunity to correct the premium contribution deficiency. If the employer refuses, or continues to improperly operate the plan the insurance carrier could, with proper notice, cancel the health plan.

Without sufficient detail it's difficult to postulate on what exactly is going on. . .

KTL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">